Sunday, December 14, 2014

12-13-14 Salt Lake City, UT

I just got settled into my hotel room here in Boise, and the girl at the front desk asked me if I was doing the concert to benefit the Women and Children's Alliance of Boise, and I said "yes" and she was very excited.  I suspect the organization had this room donated, which is wonderful. I always encourage my hosts to see if they can get the room donated because it's a charity event, ever since Mark Zembruski in Washington did that on the first tour.  It's a beautiful room and very comfortable.

Before I go on to talk about Salt Lake City...I want to share a few photos. This picture I got from Jordan Winton, whose house I performed at a week ago in Manchester, TN.  He just posted this on my FB wall:
Isn't that gorgeous?  The stuff you see falling down in the middle of the picture is the snow from his snow machine. The kids loved that!!

And here's a photo from the home the other night in Casper WY.  I'm not sure if I've shared this yet.
And here's a picture that Paul and Jo Wood sent me of the Mayor of Edgwood reading the proclamation declaring it Judy Pancoast Day at my concert:



Anyhow, it was an uneventful ride from Salt Lake City to here today. About five hours. I did get a glimpse of the great Salt Lake and that was pretty cool. I mean, it just looked like a lake but it was still pretty cool to see something I've heard about all my life.  I did not have a chance to taste it, however. I'll take their word for it.

Last night at the Gowers' house in Salt Lake City was simply AMAZING.  The only downside was that we didn't have very good weather. It was a combination of rain, sleet and snow through the whole thing. Still, in spite of that they had about 500 people in the street, which they'd had blocked off for the event.  Of course, Robbie Gowers really did the thing up.  His concert benefited two charities, Children and the Earth, a local charity that helps families of children with serious illness, and the Miracle Mascot Foundation.  Both charities got involved and were there. Children and the Earth brought a special guest and had a hot chocolate tent, and the four mascots from Miracle Mascots who were running around and dancing made it a lot more fun for the kids. In addition, they had Santa and Mrs. Claus and Anna from 'Frozen."  On top of all that, he had a local food vendor called "Waffle Love" park their truck nearby and apparently they have a huge following who just follows the truck to get these waffles wherever it lands.
Children and the Earth is sponsoring a little girl named Addie who came and "turned on" the lights for us, and that was very special, although I have to say that my heart broke for her mother, who put on a brave face through the entire event.  Please keep this woman and her little girl in your prayers as what they are facing is the most terrible thing of all.  I couldn't get it out of my mind all day today.

I should add that Robbie and his buddies had set up six or seven tent canopies and heaters so that I could be under cover, and also Santa and Mrs. Claus and many of the guests. It helped but my stuff was still pretty soaked by the time all was said and done. Still, it was more than worth it as they raised almost $500 for the charities, and I got to meet a whole bunch of really terrific people.

Here are some pictures from the event:




That's my host, Robbie Gowers.
What a nice family.  They hosted a wonderful concert and then brought me to breakfast AND gave me a goodie bag that included a box of GrapeNuts!  They remembered the great Grape Nuts famine of earlier this year!  And that was terrific because I just used up the last of the box I brought with me for breakfast yesterday.
Thank you, Gowers family, for a fun and memorable time in Salt Lake City!!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment