Monday, December 13, 2010

I Wasn't Thinking about the Fact that it Would be Winter When I Planned This....

HA HA!  I know that sounds ridiculous but it was spring time when I began planning the tour and I really didn't give a lot of thought to the fact that I would be outside singing in freezing cold temps in some places.  But that fact really hit home the last couple of nights.
Last night in Missouri it was "wicked" cold as we say where I come from, but my host Larry, in an effort to keep me from freezing,  had me inside the garage and singing in front of a great big picture window, like I was in a zoo or a store window or something.  It was too cold for many people to get out of their cars so there wasn't a lot of audience interaction but every once in a while I'd ask the audience something and they'd flash their lights or beep their horns so that was cool!  I want to give a huge shout out to Tyson who drove 50 miles to come and see me and who got roped into doing "Candy."  He was a great sport about it, too!
I enjoyed meeting the Jeffries' and their little three year old, Elizabeth.  She was quite the little Dickens and being around her did make me nostalgic for the days when my girls were little like that.  And then I got really homesick when I was back at the hotel and had a hard time falling asleep.
But today it was back on the road for an eight hour drive from Blue Springs, Missouri to Indianapolis, IN.  The ride actually went by unbelievably fast. I was listening to a riveting novella from the new Stephen King book and it made the time fly by.  I also got four calls from various reporters and did interviews with them...that was pretty exciting.  I got here in plenty of time to come over the the hotel and take a 20 minute power nap before going over to the Jones' house.  It was another freezing cold night...about 15 degrees....and it started to snow while I was setting up the equipment.  We had to keep the piano under a tarp until it was time to use it, and then once I did turn it on I was able to play it for about 30 seconds before it completely stopped playing.  I think it was just frozen!  So I had to scrap that song, but singing along with Greg's sequence to The House on Christmas Street was a great experience with the snow coming down.
All day I've been wondering how the video is doing out there in cyberspace and I was just delighted to sign on tonight and see that it's up to 18, 301 views!!  In just four days!!  That's pretty astounding!  Of course I would guess that 30% of those views are from this one friend of mine, Joe, down in Massachusetts!!  He's an old friend and has been a great supporter of my music through the years.
So tonight I've got to get to bed early because tomorrow it's an 11-hour drive to Nazareth, PA and the Reph household tomorrow night.  Today it hit me that Christmas is in only 12 days....and I really can't tell if this tour has resulted in any more airplay on radio or not.  I know that my hosts have gone really all out to try to get publicity for their concerts, and there has been a lot of coverage, but it's hard to tell what kind of effect that's having.  To be completely honest, my hope right now is that the video will explode and someone in the national media will take notice.  It would be so great to get the chance to sing it on a national TV show.  But with all the good things that have been happening lately, maybe that's a little too much to ask.  I don't know.  I do know that I'm meeting a lot of really super people and having a wild journey, but every night when I go to bed in a different hotel room I'm missing my husband and my girls and my dog and my cats and my hamsters so much.  I knew this would be a sacrifice but it's something we all agreed was worth the try; I just didn't realize how it would feel.  I've never been away from them this long.  The good news is that they are all coming down to meet me in Florida on Christmas and we will all drive back together, so that's something to look forward to.
Bear with me...I'll be back to my jovial self tomorrow.  I just need to get some sleep, so good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment